The Umpires for The 2016 Cancer Research UK Boat Races have been selected.
The 162nd Boat Race will be umpired by Simon Harris, a year after his successful umpiring of The 2015 Newton Women’s Boat Race. Harris rowed for Cambridge in the 1982 and 1983 Boat Races, both won by Oxford, and has umpired the Boat Race on four occasions in 2000, 2002, 2006 and 2010 – Cambridge only winning the latter race. He will be assisted by Matt Smith who raced four Boat Races for Oxford, winning three including The 2003 Boat Race by one foot.
Rob Clegg will umpire The 71st Women’s Boat Race. He has previously umpired the Boat Race in 2011 and the Isis-Goldie Race last year. Clegg rowed in the 1994, 1995 and 1996 Boat Races for Oxford, failing to take a win. He will be assisted by John Garrett, who took charge of the highly eventful 2012 Boat Race.
Sarah Winckless will take charge of the Isis-Goldie Race, whilst Judith Packer will umpire Osiris-Blondie – each progressing from their respective Assistant Umpire positions in The Boat Race and The Women’s Boat Race in 2015.
The Cancer Research UK Boat Races will take place March 27th 2016.
• Simon Harris – Umpire, Boat Race
• Matt Smith – Assistant Umpire, Boat Race
• Richard Phelps – Reserve Umpire, Boat Race
• Rob Clegg – Umpire, Women’s Boat Race
• John Garrett – Assistant Umpire, Women’s Boat Race
• Matthew Pinsent – Reserve Umpire, Women’s Boat Race
• Sarah Winckless – Umpire, Isis-Goldie Race
• Tony Reynolds – Reserve Umpire, Isis-Goldie
• Judith Packer – Umpire, Osiris-Blondie Race
• Caroline Smith – Reserve Umpire, Osiris-Blondie Race
• TBC – boat checking, coxes weighing
• TBC – Setting Stakeboats
• TBC – Aligner
• Ben Kent – Finish Judge
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.